Cacao is a plant medicine that comes from the cacao bean which is what chocolate is made from. Yet, when you drink it in its natural form otherwise known as Ceremonial Cacao before any processing or anything added it is a very different and special experience.
I’ve heard many people say, ‘sure its just chocolate’ I’m here to share that it is SO much more than chocolate. It is a spiritual tool to help you connect with your heart centre, if you find it hard to meditate when you drink cacao it really helps you drop into meditation much easier so you can hear your own truth, your heart & soul’s truth and while you drink it you are supported by the spirit of Mama Cacao.
Mama Cacao holds the vibrations of unconditional love, kindness and joy allowing you to feel your own essence. Ceremonial Cacao’s energy connects you to a healing, motherly, gentle energy that meets you where you are at in that moment, only helping you to hear or see what you are ready for.
It is also highly nutritious and safe to drink every day if you wish as a replacement to coffee. I was introduced to it in early 2020 and fell instantly in love with this deeply healing plant medicine after a beautiful cacao ceremony led by the wonderful Sarah Richardson. I decided to complete my training in it so I too could share this medicine in ceremony with people. I trained with and use Keith’s Cacao who is based in Guatemala, South America.
When you drink it in ceremony with others it is always a very unique and different experience, sometimes the medicine can be a teacher to help you see things in your life more clearly from the energy of your heart centre, other times she is a friend and can tell you what you need to let go of, she can take you on an expansive journey of love and joy. It is another tool to help you clear any energy blocks and see and release what is blocking you in your life.
It is my utmost honour and joy to now be able to share this truly wonderful plant medicine with you, please let me know if you have any questions at all.
What’s inside Cacao?
Ceremonial Cacao contains a magical mix of different compounds and components that work to produce ‘bliss chemicals’ naturally in our brains and bodies. It is filled with nutritious antioxidants and is nutritious to drink every day if you wish!
When working with the medicine for ceremonial/meditation/healing purposes, the recommended amount served is up to 42g (unless you have a heart condition, are pregnant or breastfeeding or are taking antidepressants, in these cases I will reduce the dose accordingly). Below is a list of some of the delicious cacao components:
- Theobromine – is a compound naturally found in cacao that stimulates the cardiovascular system, helping you relax and uplifted, feeling like a warm hug.
- Phenylethylamine (PEA) – or otherwise known as “the love chemical,” which our bodies produce naturally when we fall in love or feel immense love for something. After drinking ceremonial cacao, PEA stimulates the central nervous system to release the body’s natural feel-good compounds called endorphins.
- Serotonin – A neurotransmitter commonly known as the “feel-good chemical.” Cacao aids the body in producing its own serotonin, naturally. Serotonin is well known for its ability to combat stress and improve our mood by promoting the feelings of comfort, contentment, happiness, relaxation, and well-being.
- Anandamide: in Sanskrit, ananda literally means “bliss,” making anandamide the “bliss chemical” in chocolate. Anandamide is a neurotransmitter found naturally in cacao and also in the human brain (the only two places it has currently been discovered). Anandamide doesn’t leave you in a mind-altered state, but does produce a feeling of euphoria.
- Magnesium: every cell in the body contains this mineral and requires it to function. Magnesium helps increase energy, calms nerves, aids in digestion, and relieves muscle aches and pains (among a whole host of other benefits).